Eligibility and Criteria
Do you have what it takes to become a John Monash Scholar?
John Monash Scholarships are awarded annually to outstanding Australian graduates to support them with post graduate study at the world’s best universities. Successful applicants demonstrate excellence in their field, leadership potential and are motivated to contribute to a better future for Australia.
- Be an Australian citizen.
- Have completed (or nearly completed) a degree with an Australian university.
- Be planning to undertake postgraduate study overseas commencing in the calendar year following the year of application.
- Be able to argue the merits of your chosen course, institution and how they are best positioned to drive progress in the chosen field of study.
- Applicants who have been successful in securing a Rhodes, Fulbright or Ramsay scholarship are ineligible for a John Monash Scholarship.
Key selection criteria:
- Excellence, may be evidenced through a degree obtained with outstanding results. It can also be demonstrated through prizes, awards, publications, performances, exhibitions, enterprises and excellence in professional endeavours.
- Leadership, candidates should demonstrate leadership experience or potential. This can come from their studies, professional environments and/or the community.
- Citizenship, a clearly identified career pathway that evidences your ability to contribute to Australia and a clear career trajectory that demonstrates the benefit to society. This includes a well-developed case for choosing a university relevant to the proposed area of study.
Scholars in the field
Learn about the journey of our John Monash Scholars from current students, to working change makers.